The theme of ThreeSixty’s Winter News Team this year was “What’s Next?” After experiencing a global pandemic, social unrest and a tense election, ThreeSixty wanted to document people and organizations who are answering the question, “What’s next?” and tackling the problems facing our communities.
Fifteen students were helped by 18 volunteers from organizations including the St. Paul Pioneer Press, the Star Tribune and American Public Media. Over the course of four Saturdays, students interviewed and wrote stories about people and organizations in the Twin Cities that are looking to the future of their communities and tackling the problems that have arisen due to the recent crises.
A special addition to this winter’s News Team was guest speakers from Twin Cities Black Journalists.
Students heard from Star Tribune Social Issues Reporter Marissa Evans, Houston Chronicle Managing Editor Maria Reeve, MPR News President Duchesne Drew and Star Tribune Public Safety Reporter Libor Jany. These special guests spoke about their experiences as journalists of color and offered advice to the next generation of newsroom leaders.
Here’s what students had to say about Winter News Team:
- “My favorite part was being able to meet amazing journalists, and hear their stories and experiences; plus, being able to work with an incredible team of staff who helped me and guided me through the whole process.” (Sara Gaines, homeschool)
- “It was a good experience. My editor was very helpful in giving me tips on how to use good quotes.” (Gwynnevere Vang, Tartan Senior High School)
- “[The TCBJ journalists] were amazing! They each gave unique and engaging presentations, and I loved hearing about their experiences.” (Evan Odegard, Nova Classical Academy)
Volunteers also had comments about their ThreeSixty experience:
- “It’s a fantastic program that makes a positive impact on the lives of young people, and I’m proud to have been able to participate again.” (Jake Anderson, Target)
- “It was great! I love getting to know the new students at ThreeSixty.” (Zekriah Chaudhry, 2018 ThreeSixty Scholar)
- “I enjoyed it, I found it meaningful, I believe the students benefitted, and the students and staff seemed sharp, eager to learn and appreciative.” (Bob Shaw, St. Paul Pioneer Press)
Stories from Winter News Team will be published online and in ThreeSixty’s Spring 2021 Magazine.